02 January 2012

Wine bottle light

Here is something I did over the holiday.  After finishing off a bottle of wine (no, not in one sitting), I decided I really liked the bottle and did not want to get rid of it.  So I decided to use it as a candle holder.  Of course, that wasn't good enough.

So, using a drill bit for drilling holes in glass, I drilled a 1/4" hole in the back of the bottle about 1" from the bottom.  To do this, wear safety glasses and get a helped to slowly pour water on the spot where you are drilling (I used a turkey baster and cup of water to do this).  This will keep the glass cool to prevent it from shattering.  After the hole is drilled, rinse the bottle to remove bits of glass and allow to dry thoroughly.
Buy a short string of lights (mine was a 35 light string) and feed it through the hole.  Use a crochet hook to catch the lights from the top of the bottle to help arrange and evenly distribute the lights.  Top with a candle and you're done!  The lights I used here do tend to heat the glass a bit, so be careful handling.  I made a second bottle for my mother-in-law using mini LED lights that were battery operated.  Not as bright, but the glass doesn't heat up either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I welcome any advice or feedback. As of now, I do not moderate my comments. Feel free to link your blog as I understand the desire to increase your audience. I do read all comments and will check out your blog. However, please don't spam my comments just to promote your blog. If you do not have anything constructive to add besides a blog link, your comment will be deleted. Thanks!