02 January 2012

Floating Book Bookshelves

Here is something I have done in my house for many years.  Thought I would share.
I have some old books from my days as a paralegal.  I really liked the way they looked and wanted to incorporate them into my decor.  In our last house, I arranged them along the plant shelves and placed various objects on and around them.  But, of course, that wasn't good enough!

So, I decided to create shelves.  To do this, I got four L-brackets (two for each shelf).  I measured the book that would be on the bottom and attached the L-brackets to the wall so that each one would be about two inches in from the edge of the book.  Be sure to use anchors as the books are heavy and you will probably want to put things on your new shelf, so you must account for the total weight.
Next, place the bottom book on the L-bracket so that the bracket is between the back cover and last page.  Then, use glue or double-sided tape to attach the back cover to the last page, thus hiding the bracket from view.  Stack the rest of your books and you're done!  The books I used had volume numbers on the spine and the volume numbers are all significant to me.  Fun little secret to the display!


Tried to take a picture showing the L-bracket.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I welcome any advice or feedback. As of now, I do not moderate my comments. Feel free to link your blog as I understand the desire to increase your audience. I do read all comments and will check out your blog. However, please don't spam my comments just to promote your blog. If you do not have anything constructive to add besides a blog link, your comment will be deleted. Thanks!